Author Topic: NFA Trust - Change of Address for existing AND pending items  (Read 5919 times)

wheaties82

NFA Trust - Change of Address for existing AND pending items
« on: December 12, 2014, 01:37:18 PM »
I am moving in the near future to a new permanent address.  I currently have an established trust with one NFA item in my possession and another that is waiting for ATF review/approval.  I am not confident in what steps (if any) need to be taken so that I maintain compliance with the laws of both federal and state agencies.

Do I need to submit a change of address form to the state or to the ATF regarding permanent address change for the trust and NFA items?  From what I have been able to learn it seems that the ATF does not require an address change form to be submitted when moving within the same state (I am staying in TX).  They request that form Form 5320.20 be submitted to update their records in regards to the location of the NFA items.  This is a voluntary compliance request.  

Is this correct?

The next question I have is in regards to my NFA item that is currently under review by the ATF (5 months into the waiting period).  What is the best course of action to ensure no additional delays in taking possession of my NFA item once the ATF approves my request?  If they do not require a change of address form for approved, trust owned NFA items, it seems to me that a change of address within the state should not introduce any additional overhead or complexities into my current waiting process.   Will I still be able to pick up my NFA item from my Class III dealer once it is approved by the ATF under my old address if the address on my TX driver's license has been updated to reflect my new place of residency?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: NFA Trust - Change of Address for existing AND pending i
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 09:47:23 AM »
wheaties82,

You will need to report the changed location of your NFA item to the ATF when you are officially moved, even though your move is taking place within Texas. Youíre not under any obligation to report a changed address to the ATF for the item that is currently under review. As for picking up that new item, there is no legal problem with the discrepancy in address. However, this does not mean that the individual Class III dealer will not ask you about the discrepancy. You best course of action is probably just to be prepared with documentation if they ask about the differing address. Once you receive the item that is under review, you should then disclose the change of address to the ATF.

Thank you for your question.

hasseb1

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 04:00:56 AM »
The next question I have is in regards to my NFA item that is currently under review by the ATF (5 months into the waiting period). What is the best course of action to ensure no additional delays in taking possession of my NFA item once the ATF approves my request? If they do not require a change of address form for approved, trust owned NFA items, it seems to me that a change of address within the state should not introduce any additional overhead or complexities into my current waiting process. Will I still be able to pick up my NFA item from my Class III dealer once it is approved by the ATF under my old address if the address on my TX driver's license has been updated to reflect my new place of residency?

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 11:42:23 AM »
hasseb1,

Thank you very much for your question. I've passed the question onto one of the independent firearms program attorneys for review and for an answer. The independent program attorneys should have an answer drafted for you soon. Keep in mind, if this is an emergency question, you can always call us here at the office for an immediate response (877)448-6839.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 11:37:51 AM »
hasseb1,

At this point, there isnít anything that is going to affect your wait time in any significant way. You will need to report the changed location of your NFA item to the ATF when you are officially moved, even though your move is taking place within Texas, but youíre not under any obligation to report a changed address to the ATF for the item that is currently under review. As for picking up that new item, there is no legal problem with the discrepancy in address. However, this does not mean that the individual Class III dealer will not ask you about the discrepancy. You best course of action is probably just to be prepared with documentation if they ask about the differing address. Once you receive the item that is under review, you should then disclose the change of address to the ATF.

wheaties82

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 01:08:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies.