Author Topic: "Printing" and the consequences thereof  (Read 6870 times)

P8riot0366

"Printing" and the consequences thereof
« on: December 12, 2014, 07:26:39 PM »
So, I am carrying in HEB last week and I had an off-duty police officer approach to tell me he could tell that I was carrying a pistol.  Apparently, he could see the grip bulging my shirt out a little bit.

I carry an IWB holster and I cannot see any printing when I inspect my clothes in the mirror at home, but apparently he could.

I asked him if I was breaking the law and he said that if someone made a complaint, I would be arrested.  Instead of arguing, I left my cart of groceries right there and left the building.

Please clarify my danger from printing and how I might articulate the law when speaking with a police officer or sheriff's deputy.

Thanks and have a great day!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

CXO

Re: "Printing" and the consequences thereof
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 09:27:47 PM »
It is not against the law to accidentally print or unintentionally expose parts of your firearm.
The law states that it is illegal to intentionally display your handgun in a public place edit: in order to ALARM another person.

There is also a provision to legally " display " in order to dissuade a perceived imminent threat.
A lot more info on this in the video section....

P8riot0366

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 09:45:33 PM »
Thank you very much for the clarification.  I was fairly certain that I was ok, legally-speaking, BUT I would not benefit from discussing the situation any further with a police officer who was ignorant of the law.  That conversation has no upside for me and would only leave me worse off than swallowing my pride and plating it safe.

MIO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 07:09:23 AM »
This might be the case in your state but its not that way everywhere. Concealed means concealed. Anything else can and will get you arrested. It's one of the reasons open carry has been fought for in many places.

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 08:20:04 PM »
Not having seen the incidental "printing" it is hard to say, but I would guess your off duty officer was just blowing smoke and trying to get a rise out of you. If someone did see something that made them think you had a gun (highly unlikely unless the butt actually sticks out from under the shirt or super tight clothes) and called the cops, about the most that would probably happen is a talk with a cop and possibly a verbal warning to be more discrete once you presented your CHL.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 10:07:27 AM »
P8riot0366,

Printing and accidental displays are not illegal. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to convince a police officer that he is wrong about the law. In the situation you were in, you did exactly the right thing. If it looked like the officer was going to try to arrest you, that is the time to call our emergency hotline and let us speak to him.

Hope this helps.

yabu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 08:11:37 AM »
I have said that open carry probably wouldn't change anything for me.  I have no intention of walking around with an exposed firearm - especially since I live in a senior environment and I don't think the sight of an exposed gun would be very popular with my neighbors.  As a practical matter, however, I can see one benefit that I might enjoy.  I know that printing is not strictly illegal, still I have always had a little anxiety about it.  Open carry would allow me to start carrying using a OWB holster (still covered by my shirt) making it more comfortable than the IWB holsters I have always used.  I will start carrying my Ruger LC9s in a Desantis mini scabbard with my T-shirt over it and not worry about the slight bulge it makes.  The benefit, for me, is strictly one of comfort.