Author Topic: Nature Preserve signage  (Read 3159 times)

TAC

Nature Preserve signage
« on: November 13, 2014, 05:43:16 PM »
Several times a month I pick up my wife from work at lunch and we drive to a local Nature Preserve to eat lunch. I recently noticed signage that is not 30.06 compliant. As a matter of fact, the signage is odd, one sign states "No Weapons Allowed" (meanwhile there is an archery range nearby on the Preserve)! Another sign states "No Firearms Allowed."

My concern is that if for some reason we're approached by a police officer (e.g. two "suspicious" people sitting in their car eating lunch) and I am questioned I would, of course, offer up my CHL and the fact that I'm carrying a firearm. If the officer were overzealous and disregarded the law, paying attention only to the signage, then I could be caught up in a legal morass.

My question therefore are:
1) Is there any legal standing with those signs? (Please see attached photos)
2) Does Texas Law Shield provide a service where a "legal letter" could be sent to the city informing them of their inappropriate signage and how they are "disparaging lawful gun owners..." etc?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

Neighbor

• View Profile
Re: Nature Preserve signage
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 03:30:16 PM »
In my opinion nothing should be sent to anyone indicating a problem with signs. That is the sign they want as far as I'm concerned. Has no bearing on licensed concealed carry folks, but is directed at someone carrying a "long gun" in my opinion. By the way, I am certainly not a lawyer - just a person that carries about anywhere it is legal.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
These signs appear to have no legal consequence for a CHL holder.  They are not proper 30.06 signs and even if they were they would be of no effect to a CHL holder because of TPC 30.06(e) since the sign says that the nature preserve is owned by the City of Mineola.  The sign does give notice to non-CHL holders that the City may have an ordinance that criminalizes the unlicensed possession of a firearm in a city park.  It is therefore logical to deduce that this is the group of people that the city is attempting to regulate.  In my opinion a CHL holder has nothing to fear and you should not be concerned with the signs.

khushfehmi045

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 03:52:04 AM »
My concern is that if for some reason we're approached by a police officer (e.g. two "suspicious" people sitting in their car eating lunch) and I am questioned I would, of course, offer up my CHL and the fact that I'm carrying a firearm. If the officer were overzealous and disregarded the law, paying attention only to the signage, then I could be caught up in a legal morass. >>???

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 04:55:20 PM »
My experience with police officers is that they don't get too excited about firearms especially on a CC license holder or in a vehicle with one - especially in rural Texas. Now if you are being stupid - yes maybe.
In my opinion we can't worry about every possibility of how things "might" happen but try to understand the laws and follow them to the best of our ability.
Obviously I am not a lawyer - just a person that carries about everywhere that doesn't have a 30.06 posting or is off limits by law.