Author Topic: What's the Best Gun for Concealed Carry?  (Read 61459 times)

jmeyer

What's the Best Gun for Concealed Carry?
« on: November 19, 2013, 12:44:17 PM »
Hi all,

I'm about to take my CHL class and want to get something I know I will actually carry. If I buy something too bulky or to heavy, I'll probably just end up leaving it at home.

I'm thinking about getting a Ruger LCP 380, but wanted to know what other options I should be considering in a similar price range.

Any recommendations?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

JoshM

Re: What's the Best Gun for Concealed Carry?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 02:45:59 PM »
Don't buy such a whimpy gun.... .45 cal full size 1911 by Nighthawk is the ONLY OPTION

switch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 04:02:11 PM »
Jmeyer,

you are thinking correctly.  Pick a gun that you like and will likely carry.  

There is not that much difference between a good quality hollow point .380 and the .45.  (Personally, I like my S&W 500, but it is not a good carry gun. :) )

chrisk1775

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 08:09:44 AM »
Sig. 224, Glock 26, Glock 42 (yes, it will it a person to), and Kimber 1911 Crimson Carry

wynneth

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 10:23:49 PM »
There is no "best gun" for concealed carry. It's all going to depend on your body and what you are comfortable with. While we all have our preferences, there is no one size fits all. For thinner build men and women, I recommend something similar to the Ruger LCP you mentioned (although I prefer the LC9). Glock makes amazing weapons and I have several, but even the "baby" glocks may not work well for someone with a thin frame who wishes to appendix carry. Likewise, if you're a larger build, wear cover garments, or intend to use under arm style holsters, you may wish to go with a full size gun. I think the important aspects to examine are these:
    What can you comfortably conceal?
    What caliber are you satisfied with?
    How much are you willing(able) to spend?

Jeromy

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 07:18:21 PM »
I personally like my .357 K frame or any of my Glocks but the .357 gets carried more often.

LaVaism

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 08:46:44 PM »
I prefer Glock.  I carry the small frame .45 but that is what I like and works for me.  

I recommend most people carry nothing smaller than a 9mm.  Also spend the extra money and get home defense rounds.  You can find a lot of reviews on Youtube.  What ever you decide to get make sure you practice with it a lot.  Not just going to the range, range time doesn't prepare you for much.  You need to take a course with good instructors.  For me I want the instructors to be either prior military or police.  They most likely know what it is like to be shot at and how to defend yourself properly.  

Carry extra ammo with you.  I keep two extra mags in my bag and one in my car.  

As far as what brand of weapon to purchase, there are a lot of good ones.  Stay away from Hi-Point and Bersa!  Go to a range where they rent weapons and rent a few, ask people if you can see what they have.  If I am at the range I'll let just about anyone shoot my weapon, as long as they will let me try out what they have.  That is the best way to find what fits your hand and shoots well for you.

mark996

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 01:09:31 AM »
I recommend going to a gun store, a legit one, and putting on a holster your comfortable with and walking around with the gun on you if they'll let you.  Sit down, not only on a couch but try dinner style chairs as well.  The gun should conceal well, just because the new law prevents you from being charged with an "accidental showing" doesn't mean you want to go around printing and making yourself known as a carrier. I carried a 19 for a good long time, but when the new Glock 30S came out, I was quick to pick it up.  I've also carried a Colt Series 80 officers ACP 1911 and liked it a lot.  

Quite a few guys I work with carry the Ruger LCP as a BUG on duty and like it a lot.  I have meat cleavers for hands and couldn't ever get follow up shots off quickly with such a small framed gun.  

As recommended by others, go shoot the guns you're interested in.  Try to find a range that rents, and allows shooting in rapid succession, not some Nancy range with 1 second between each shot.  You need to know how the gun reacts with you in a defense situation, not some idiots rules of no rapid firing.  Train like you fight.

geeman99

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 09:53:07 AM »
I have only returned 2 handguns that I have ever purchased in my life (out of dozens of handguns purchased) - and both of them were .380's (both of them were major brands - and both of them jammed and had poor triggers).  I would stay away from them.  There are several 9mm handguns nearly as small, and 9mm is a MUCH better round than the .380 (more stopping power, plus much better pricing and availability).  Another factor making the .380 a poor choice: one of the more expensive rounds you will find.  Most versions of the .380 round are very low power, though THE most powerful available NOW pack nearly as much punch as a mid-range 9mm (but these rounds are hard to find and expensive).  In my experience and opinion, the only .380's that are reliable enough for carry are no smaller than several 9mm pistols available.  The new Glock single stack .380 is probably a good pistol (if you can ever find one), but is still almost as large as several 9mm pistols available.

IMHO, your best choices for concealed carry are Glock sub-compact models 26 (9mm) or 27 (.40SW); Glock compact models 19 (9mm) or 23 (.40SW); OR S&W M&P Shield (in 9mm or .40SW).  The S&W M&P Shields are more compact because they are single stack (but this also means much lower magazine capacity). For something smaller - the Beretta Nano 9mm is a nice choice (but with an even lower magazine capacity).

Most of the time, I carry a Glock 27 (with a 2 round magazine extension in the gun, mostly to give my pinky finger something to grip), and a Glock 23 magazine (with a sleeve) as my second magazine (for more capacity).  Great trigger, very good magazine capacity and pretty compact...plus the great reliability and durability of Glock.

marshalmatt

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 09:18:21 AM »
The Ruger LC380 is a great choice. I own one and carry it often. It is very concealable and don't let the nay sayers fool you, it has plenty of punch. Now, admittedly, I prefer my Springfield XD .40 cal, but the Ruger is a very fine choice. The bottom line is, what are YOU most comfortable with, what can YOU shoot well, and what fits into YOUR philosophy of carry? I know for some folks, they do not like the little guns because, well, they are little. Meaning they don't fit into one's hand correctly. There is a lot of debate about .380 cal not being enough firepower, but this is grossly exaggerated. I would much rather have 2 well placed .380 shots then not being able to hit the side of a barn with a .45. Truth is, if you can perform when it matters, you could get the job done with .22LR. I am not advocating that, but effectiveness is more than calibre. You gotta feel comfortable in what you are carrying, bottom line. BTW, I have sent over 600 rounds through the LC380 and not one jamn or misfire....pretty flawless little gun.

**Also, let's not confuse the LCP with the LC380. Both are 380 cal, but the LCP is the size of my iPhone, while the LC380 is the size of the Ruger LC9. In fact, they are identical, only the LC9 is a 9mm.***

wagmc

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 04:01:16 PM »
The best gun to carry is one that you will carry.  My son purchased a Spirngfield XD, but it's large, bulky and heavy, so he doesn't carry it.  A gun at home is of zero use to you.  On the other hand, a .22 in your pocket is a significant advantage if you have it with you.  Generally people don't like having holes poked in them, even small ones.  Any firearm is infinitely better than no firearm.

Don't go with what's popular, got a good review in a magazine, or recommended by someone else.  As was suggested earlier, try them out in the store.  Carry a friend's for a week.  Listen to recommendations regarding quality, reliability, etc, but there is no substitute for carrying it to decide if it "feels" right. If it doesn't feel comfortable you won't carry it, which leads back to paragraph 1.

GarryLaxton

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 03:29:12 PM »
I have two guns that I use for carry, depending on circumstances - and S&W Bodyguard 380 and an S&W Shield in 40 S&W.  Both have been absolutely reliable.  Neither has ever failed to fire or jammed, even when fed mixed magazines of ammo ranging from hollow points to FMJ's.   Accuracy is also quite good.  Both are very impressive, especially given their price point.

While I'm not a great fan of the 380, new defensive ammunition (such as Hornady Critical Defense) has made it quite respectable.  While I prefer the 40 S&W, if I just run down to the corner grocery, I may just grab the 380 and drop it in my pocket.

shorthairptr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 10:58:53 PM »
If you ask 100 people you will probably get 100 different answers... It ALL depends on YOU.. I recently met a girl at the range that has been researching a carry pistol for a few months now. Shes shot & read articles on over 50 guns but still has only narrowed it down to 2 guns. One being the LC9.

As for me, I am very small and a lefty I needed a gun that I can carry without it printing but also that has an ambi safety (being a novice). I shot a bunch of rounds before I bought it.

I bought a Sig Sauer P238 (380 caliber). It's perfect for me. I can slip it into my pocket (with or without a holster) or holster it on my hip and its very comfortable. Like another user said you need to get a comfortable holster (sit / stand / jump / etc) and that you can draw from fast.

Remember, whatever you buy you will need to take to the range and practice often so the gun & ammo (JHP & FMJ) need to be in your budget.

1 1/2 years later, I still use this gun as my main concealed pistol and since have purchased a SR9 (too big to carry mainly because its a double stack / 17 round magazine) for home defense.

GOOD LUCK

LucasMcCain

• I am not a lawyer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 01:06:49 PM »
+1 for buying a gun you will actually carry and practicing with it regularly. The best gun in the world does you no good if you don't have it with you when you need it, or if you aren't comfortable and accurate with it. Personally, my EDC is a S&W Shield in 9mm. I have found it to be very reliable, accurate for a subcompact, and easily concealable in jeans and a tee shirt. Still, it's personal preference. The best advice I got when first shopping for my first concealed carry gun was to go to a gun show and just pick up a lot of guns. Find the one that feels really comfortable to you. Also, a lot of ranges let you rent guns, which can help a lot. Hope this helps.

jrooth

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 02:00:31 PM »
The best gun to carry is the one you are comfortable with in shooting and wearing.  I wish there were magical means to fit a weapon to a person but pigs are still not flying yet.  I personally carry a S&W MP40 C or a PX4 sub compact - .40 cal in both.  My wife has weaker wrists so she carries a Sig P238.  It is .380 cal and has one of the smoothest actions around.  Really easy to rack the slide.  I have put 250 rounds through it and have never had the issues known for the 380 rounds.  It is very light at around 13 ounces loaded.  But small hands work best with it.  Bought it for $459 after shopping around.