Author Topic: What's the Best Gun for Concealed Carry?  (Read 59110 times)

Pecos

Re: What's the Best Gun for Concealed Carry?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2015, 02:00:05 PM »
I agree with wynneth.
I carry mostly my Glock G23 Gen 4. OWB with belt slide holster.  That's what work best for me.
There is a lot of great carry methods & a ton of  different guns. It's what works best for you.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

brisbois

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 11:05:06 PM »
I just started to carry a year ago and started with a Ruger SR40. I love shooting the gun and am able to shoot it accurately but it was very uncomfotable to carry. I use a Whitehat IWB holster for it at the 4 o'clock position. I tried shooting a few compact 40s but they all had to much recoil for me. I prefer to be accurate which I belief is the best bet. I just purchased a S&W M&P 9mm Shield and have shot it for the last 2 weekends at a local gun range and I am so glad I got it. Easy to carry, accurate and reliable so far.

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 05:15:46 PM »
brisbois, I hope you enjoy your shield as much as I have. This coming June, it will be 2 years that I have carried my shield nearly daily most everywhere I am. The only ammo I have had a problem with was some steel cased stuff.(I won't try any more of that). I've put between 1800 and 2000 rounds through it.

brisbois

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 09:31:43 PM »
Neighbor,

I have only put 300 rounds through mine so far. I am looking forward to how it will feel after the 1000 round mark. I'm really impressed by the crisp trigger pull and how quikly I can get back on target with it. Very easy to carry as well. I have been using Remmington UMC 115 gr FMJ so far with no problems. I need to decide what the best round for carry is. Research in progress.....   :)

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2015, 01:52:59 PM »
Sig P938 with IWB holster from Stealthgear. Very comfortable for all day carry.

Mmcook

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2015, 07:00:32 PM »
The best carry is the one that fits the user. I carried the full size 1911 and then tried the polymers, I now carry a custom shop II stainless steel Kimber Raptor. The length of grips are like full size 1911 version. Sits on my side with a Bianchi leather holster. Very comfortable and easy to draw. I do not carry "cocked and locked". I do like the 45 cal. I have carried the 40's and 9mm. My wife carries the M&P 9. It fits her hands and she likes the Double Stack. It all depends on the carriers desires. I also have the 380 LCP and she has 32 LCP (pink) that she carries on occasions.

EdO

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2015, 05:40:09 PM »
Quote from: "Mmcook"
The best carry is the one that fits the user. I carried the full size 1911 and then tried the polymers, I now carry a custom shop II stainless steel Kimber Raptor. The length of grips are like full size 1911 version. Sits on my side with a Bianchi leather holster. Very comfortable and easy to draw. I do not carry "cocked and locked". I do like the 45 cal. I have carried the 40's and 9mm. My wife carries the M&P 9. It fits her hands and she likes the Double Stack. It all depends on the carriers desires. I also have the 380 LCP and she has 32 LCP (pink) that she carries on occasions.

And that's pretty much the truth of the matter.   I carry anything from a S&W Bodyguard .380 to a Springfield XDm 3.8 in .40 S&W to a  .357 Mag revolver depending on what I'm wearing.  The little .380 works with just about anything.   Stick it in your front pocket in a Galco Pocket Holster and it's pretty much invisible.

RonJeanJr

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2015, 03:10:55 PM »
Personally, I had limited spare funds to invest in concealed carry.  I went around checking on affordable options, and then hit the internet for a bunch of research on each one.  At the end of the day I chose & got a 1972 Polish P-64.  It's very compact, but not light, yet thusly lacks the downsides of polycarbonate options.  The 9x18 ammo can be bought...even more readily right now than .45 or .22 ammunition, and you can either get it cheap @ $11 / 50 to practice, or get quality brass-jacketed Winchestor for carry use.  New or used, it's cheap, and the only bad things I could dig up about it are not things that really matter to me.  First is the double-action trigger pull, which they have a spring set out there you can substitute if it's of concern.  Second is the magazine release style, but [a] concealed carry shouldn't require much reloading & it just makes it that much less likely that you'll ever accidentally release the clip.  Last is the discomfort to your hand after shooting 100+ rounds at the range...which I countered with a pair of $13 "weight lifting" leather-padded fingerless gloves.  Other than that, every source seems to make grade this an A++

RonJeanJr

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2015, 03:13:41 PM »
One of my favorite things about this for concealed carry is now narrow it is compared to almost everything else, making it LESS obvious to a potential perp that you're not helpless.  One last thing: it IS drop safe with the safety on & chamber loaded due to a rotating firing pin...so no worries about shooting oneself in the foot.

CongoHarry

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2015, 09:26:09 AM »
Personally, I had limited spare funds to invest in concealed carry...

The P-64.  An intriguing find!  For one on a limited budget, it is far better than some of the "Saturday Night Specials" on the market these days.  Been there.  Done that.  Experienced a near fatal stoppage during a home invasion.  Long story short: forced to sell off my entire collection of Colts, Rugers, and Winchesters to come up with a down payment on a home many years ago.  After that, the only weapon I could immediately acquire and afford was a Davis D-32 semi auto for $80.  Big mistake.  Seemed to be made largely of Zinc and pot metal with chrome finish.  Predictably, it failed me during a home invasion robbery.  I should have paid closer attention during range testing, as the rounds were producing keyholes in the target.  An indication of bullet wobble (gun out of spec.).  Though a .32, it was most likely chambered for .380., and it experienced catastrophic failure at less than 100 rounds.  Thereafter, encountered many for sale at pawn shops for pennies on the dollar.  Get enough of them together, and you might have a good boat anchor.  Should have done my homework and gone with something from the Communist Bloc countries in the 9mm Markarov line.

bilgerat57

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2015, 03:09:34 PM »
:D  This question compares to another age old question....."What is truth?"  Over time you will find several different "best guns" that you like. It will vary according to the threat you envision encountering, the type of attire you wish to wear, but above all else....what works best for you? The combinations of weapons, holsters, sights, accessories, ammunition, and prices are almost infinite. The key to your success with any system is going to be training. Invest in a good quality basic training course early on and work from there. Good Luck!

GunLeather

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2015, 12:07:06 PM »
I strongly suggest that you look for a shooting range or a Gun Store with a firing range that rents guns to try. Sometimes people just rent a gun that they can't afford to buy but they can afford to rent. Anyway, I suggest you try that and you will probably find one that feels good to you, the grip, weight, caliber, make, all of these are important.
Don't look for the cheapest, just look for the best you can afford and that feels good to you.
You also will be able to judge whether you will feel like carrying it, regularly. It's important that you judge for yourself, advise from friends, etc. is fine, but don't make your decision based on that. Also doing some reading about certain types of firearms will help, remember that this is an awesome responsibility. You have to be ready to destroy what you aim your firearm at.

Katfish

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2015, 04:33:58 PM »
Depends on if I'm walking, driving, or riding my motorcycle...............

I love all of my choices:
Glock 23 (.40)
Beretta PX4 Storm compact (.40)
or Springfield XD-S (.45) - with the longer than OEM mag

higavin

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2015, 10:43:20 AM »
Quote from: "switch"
Jmeyer,

you are thinking correctly.  Pick a gun that you like and will likely carry.  

There is not that much difference between a good quality hollow point .380 and the .45.  (Personally, I like my S&W 500, but it is not a good carry gun. :) )

In what universe is a 380 caliber,  90 grain hollow point comparable to a 45 caliber, 230 hollow point?

If PD round technology on small calibers has improved their performance, then large caliber performance has improved also.

The best gun for concealed carry is the one you will carry everyday. The .22 in your pocket is far better than the 44 Mag in your safe.

timsatx

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2015, 10:28:19 PM »
I still like my KelTec P11. I do not use a holster, just the belt clip that attaches to the frame. I am looking at getting a Glock G19.