Author Topic: What's the Best Gun for Concealed Carry?  (Read 57106 times)

Jimpilot

Re: What's the Best Gun for Concealed Carry?
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2015, 06:13:00 PM »
Quote from: switch
Jmeyer,

you are thinking correctly.  Pick a gun that you like and will likely carry. 

There is not that much difference between a good quality hollow point .380 and the .45.  (Personally, I like my S&W 500, but it is not a good carry gun. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) --> )

In what universe is a 380 caliber,  90 grain hollow point comparable to a 45 caliber, 230 hollow point?

If PD round technology on small calibers has improved their performance, then large caliber performance has improved also.

The best gun for concealed carry is the one you will carry everyday. The .22 in your pocket is far better than the 44 Mag in your safe.

In what universe is a 45 caliber comparable to a 30-06. It's a matter of function and size. I do agree that a gun you'll carry is the right choice.

jbh2007

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2016, 06:40:08 AM »
Simple question, complex answers.  Don't worry about caliber at the moment. The .380s will kill you just as dead as the .45s, but if you aren't an experienced shooter they are a lot harder to shoot.  Small guns are much easier to conceal, but they are not easier to shoot until you get really familiar with them.  Even a  .380 in a tiny gun is a lot of recoil, and I'm 6'1" and 235.  If you don't have a good grip, they can be a real challenge to hold onto.  Same for a compact .40 S&W.  I've got the LCP, TCP and Pico in .380 and love anyone of them for convenience, just pop one in a pocket and take off if you don't want to take the time to put a bigger gun on. But, while I have faith in the lethality of a well placed .380, I normally carry a 9mm or .40 (LC9S pro or Glock 26 in 9mm and a Taurus Slim 40 or a Sig 250C in .40) and occasionally a .45 Glock 30S which I love to shoot but am not too fond of carrying.  I also carry one of my S&W snubbies in 38 special on occasion.
Which would I recommend for you?  None of the above.  There are a bunch of good, reliable guns out there and the one you should get for starters is one you like to shoot and one that you will carry EVERY DAY.  You also need to practice with it until you can shoot it well and you trust it with your life. That's harder with some of the smaller guns because when you are checking it out for reliability you may need to shoot 3 or 4 hundred rounds through it and that can hurt after a while with a sharp recoil.

BucketList

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2016, 07:15:24 PM »
Whatever make, model or caliber you choose opt for a laser. Crimson Trace is my choice..  The newly improved LCP that has real sights, a seven round mag & a Crimson Trace is a wise choice for FL summer attire carry.   Before dispelling the .380, study these test results~    http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#380ACP   ~ This forum is about concealed carry self-defense not swat standoffs.

Rick B

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2016, 05:41:32 PM »
Even with the new sights on the Ruger LCP I would still use a laser. The sight radius, even with decent sights, is so short that the laser is a big improvement in target acquisition and shot placement in my experience.

One alternative to the Ruger LCP that is similar in size is the Taurus TCP which also has a slide lock open on the last shot, a feature which I wish Ruger would add to the LCP.

I would suggest that you handle as many possible different handguns as possible prior to purchasing a gun. If possible, go to a range with friends or look for a range that rents handguns and try them out. The smaller and lighter the handgun, the more important a proper grip is because of the recoil and small grip. There is a balance between size/weight, ease of carry and ease of shooting.

The LCP and TCP are truly "pocket pistols" as are some others such as the SIG P938, but there are numerous small pistols which are just a bit on the big size for pocket carry, but are still easily concealable.

GlenWilbanks

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2016, 10:43:23 PM »
Just about everybody recommends what they carry, and there are more than 50 recommendations so far in this thread. Everything in carrying or shooting is a trade off. Big bullets make bigger holes, bigger holes leak more fluid. Smaller bullets allow more capacity in the same size gun, more holes leak more fluid. Double action is great for some, single action is preferable to others. If the trigger pull is quite a bit higher than the weight of the gun (8 pound trigger 1 pound gun) the longer the pull the harder it is to hold the sight picture through the entire pull. Smaller guns are easier to conceal, harder to shoot accurately. If you treat your gun like your lawnmower, get a Glock because you don't have to clean them much. A lot of people think the Glock is a brick in the hand, if you have small hands. Shoot as many as you can before deciding and buy a good name brand that has a reputation for reliability. Don't skimp on price, if your life is worth $100 get a $100 gun. I would suggest that you look at 9mm instead of .380 because of the cost and availability of ammo and they can be almost as small.

bhoefling

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2016, 11:32:14 AM »
a 380 (or even 22) in the hand is worth more than a 45 in the safe.

the best concealed carry is the one that you carry. Every. Single. Day. and that you are comfortable with and train/practice with.

Crankyyankee

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2016, 06:29:41 PM »
I'm a small elderly female. My every day carry is a Glock 19 in a concealed carry handbag, but for brief runs I put my snub nosed .38 in my pocket.  My bag has room for a spare magazine, giving me 30 rounds available if needed.

CMOST

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2016, 12:38:03 PM »
First off you want a gun with stopping power. Having something that requires you to dump a clip into them and they are still coming at you is ridiculous. I prefer my Glock 30S 45cal. It won't take much to put them down.

jaeroo43

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2016, 08:57:01 PM »
Depends on ur needs, ur lifestyle, and what kind of clothing u wear. As for me, I currently carry Glock 30s .45 for the summer. But once the weather gets colder and I get back to wearing coats and jackets, I switch over to the full-size H&K USP .40.

TampaShagg

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2016, 10:00:21 PM »
Walther CCP series or Ruger SR9c (Compact). Both 9MM.  My2cents.  :)

delmetngy

• View Profile
Whats the Best Gun for Concealed C
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2016, 06:23:42 AM »
I have a ruger LCR in 38 p.  Its a handful with p loads, conceals well and is hammerless double action only trigger.  Used to carry it more but have moved away from the wheelgun for a slimmer gun and more rounds.  When I bought mine the model was new and did not include the 357mag option/model.  I imagine that would be a handful with full house loads but would definitely give you more punch for an angry bear.  If you ever needed it I doubt you'd notice the recoil.

Sam C

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2016, 09:18:46 AM »
Glock 26 Gen 3 (9MM) The Glock 26 was designed for concealed carry.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 09:21:38 AM by Sam C »