Author Topic: 30.06 sign at a public building  (Read 5140 times)

dhoobler

30.06 sign at a public building
« on: December 18, 2014, 03:33:30 PM »
I attended the gun show at the Pasadena Convention Center this past weekend.  The building is owned by the City of Pasadena, i.e., it is a government owned building and according to language in TPC 30.06, is not covered by that code.

There was a temporary 30.06 sign displayed on an easel at the entrance.  Does this sign have any force of law?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 30.06 sign at a public building
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 01:49:56 PM »
dhoobler,

This is a grey area in the law. Government owned/leased buildings are not allowed to display a 30.06 sign, but it is possible that a private individual renting a government space CAN prohibit CHL holders from entering with their pistols. Unless you want to be the test-case for its legality, it is safest to go ahead and assume you cannot carry.

Thank you for your question.

rickeymont

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 12:28:04 PM »
I noticed an article outlining how attorney Edwin Walker with Texas Law Shield got the Houston zoo to remove the 30.06 signs even though the zoo is run by a private organization on public land.

Is there any chance Mr. Walker could do the same with the Saxet Gun Show?  They put on gun shows all across Texas, typically using public coliseums or buildings (Richard Borchard Fairgrounds in Robstown is one I'm familiar with) and always post 30.06 signs at the entrance.

It seems hypocritical for a company that puts on gun shows to suppress its patrons' second amendment rights.

cncfan

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 02:16:02 PM »
Suspect they may change their mind of people that carried quit going to their shows.
After knowing this I know I won't be going to anything they put on.

siggaltx

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 08:14:46 PM »
This is interesting. I went to the Liberty Gun Show in New Braunfels, TX a few weeks ago. It took place at the city Civic Center. There were no 30.06 signs posted but I was told by a police officer at the door that I could not carry into the show. They were letting people go in with unloaded guns, after being checked by a police officer. I thought that was kind of odd too. No carrying at a gun show? Anyway, I was not impressed and will not attend another gun show there. (I had to take my loaded gun back to my car).

dhoobler

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 01:15:13 PM »
I don't see the difference between the Houston Zoo, a private entity, operating on city owned property and a gun show promoter, a private entity, operating on city owned property.  I hope the TLS will send a letter to the City of Pasadena demanding removal of the 30.06 signs from the Pasadena Convention Center similar to the letter they sent to the City of Houston to have the 30.06 signs removed from the zoo.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 02:41:11 PM »
rickeymont,

You are right that it seems hypocritical for gun shows to suppress their patrons' Second Amendment rights. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Actually, any person can give written notice to the governmental entity, along with a picture of the sign showing where it is located on the building. If the entity refuses to take the sign down, you can then give the copy of your written letter and picture to the attorney general, who can fine the governmental entity. If you would like a re-usable version of a takedown request, written by Edwin Walker and used to get the Houston Zoo to takedown their sign, please email Gordon Cooper <gcooper@walkerbyington.com> and he will send you a re-usable version.

switch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 05:49:08 PM »
The problem is, the law says you have to notify the state agency or political subdivision and they have 3 days to correct the deficiency.  Then you notify the AG and he contacts the local gov but they have 15 days.  Then they can be fined $1,000 (first offense).  Later offenses rise to $10,000-10,500 - per day).  Most gun shows are only 2-3 days.

I guess we could argue that the same company is leasing the same venue so it is a continuing problem.  They could argue each show stands alone and is entitled to a 3 day grace period. :(

This may have to be litigated.

dhoobler

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 07:53:41 AM »
We will soon find out.

On September 7, 2015, I sent a letter to Pasadena Mayor Johnny Isbel informing him of the violation.  I attended a gun show this past weekend and did not observe a 30.06 sign.  I looked very hard for them.  My take is that they took my letter seriously.

They tried to circumvent the law.  They posted one sign that claimed that your ticket to enter was a revocable license issued on the condition that you do not carry any loaded weapons.  Another sign flatly stated that "all guns must be unloaded and checked by a police officer".

SB 273 does not limit itself to 30.06 signs.  It prohibits any sign that excludes CHL holders.  I reported them ti the attorney general October 5, 2015.

I don't think the theory about each gun show being a separate event is going to work.  It is not the guns show promoter that is held responsible.  It is the government entity that is held responsible.  Once they get their warning, each event after that become an offense.