Author Topic: chl holder/police do it right  (Read 7366 times)

SafeT

chl holder/police do it right
« on: December 28, 2014, 09:35:02 PM »
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/12 ... im-a-hero/

He did the right thing. Although the spokesman for the police didn't seem to fond of his choice.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

MIO

• View Profile
Re: chl holder/police do it right
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 04:35:37 PM »
It was a good job by the CHL.
It's always a gamble when you involve yourself in an unknown situation. What if she was robbing the man and he did this? There could be a different outcome. Even helping an officer can be a gamble because there is nothing garaunteeing the LEO is in the right. This is why the spokesman makes the statement.
This is something to decide now in your mind as to what you are willing or not willing to do.

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 05:57:49 PM »
In the case of helping a LEO, I'm going to say the chances of him being "in the right" are a pretty sure bet. Helping in a situation with two unknowns, however, certainly takes some caution and wisdom. Better be sure what is really going on.

SafeT

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 09:38:54 PM »
I would like to hear a lawyers view on this. It seems the CHL holder put the woman's safety over his own. Did he call 911 before drawing his firearm? If he did, did he give the dispatcher a description of himself and what he was wearing? He had a lot more guns pointed at him than the bad guy did.

MIO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 09:28:41 AM »
In most cases Neighbor I would agree. Two incidents stick out in my mind though. One was where a police officer and a game ranger were into it with each other, one in uniform and one not, because one was sleeping with the others wife.
The second incident happened to two of our officers who were off duty and helped another from a different agency on the roadside. Unknown to them the on duty officer went overboard before their arrival and got all three sued.
That being said I still help out, and did so recently on a car thief fighting the officer, but I go in knowing the risk to me and my family.
I've also worked many domestics and I can almost tell you with certainty had this man shot that guy she would have turned on him at some point later. LTL might be a better option if you aren't physically able to intervene. She will be screaming "he didn't have to kill him, he was unarmed" just like they are doing to the police right now across the country.
I have more faith in the team here helping on criminal cases than civil with attitudes of a lot of people right now.
This is a great article and great food for thought for everyone to think it thru on how far they are willing to go.

mayfieldh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 10:32:48 AM »
I was always taught to NEVER have a gun pointed at someone when the police arrives.  As soon as I would have seen the cop car pull up around the corner, I would have laid my gun on the ground so they don't shoot me by mistake.  This guy was far enough from the other guy to grab his gun again if he needed to.