Author Topic: Concealed carry at concerts  (Read 7208 times)

corymarrs

Concealed carry at concerts
« on: January 20, 2015, 10:44:44 PM »
I've only had my chl for a couple of months so I guess I am hypersensitive to making a mistake. I am going to attend a concert and I am unsure if I can carry. It is being held at a county expo center and alcohol is being sold. I have not seen anything expressly prohibiting concealed carry but again I want to make sure. Any input would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

MIO

• View Profile
Re: Concealed carry at concerts
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 05:45:11 PM »
I'm not sure how your state law reads on the alcohol consumption/sales so check that. You can usually contact the event center, security or even local law enforcement and ask. If you choose to wait until you arrive I would approach security/LEOs unarmed then go back and retrieve it if its clear. I've not had any issues doing that way.
I'm willing to bet on a concert especially with alcohol your out of luck but check.

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 08:22:25 PM »
unlike MIO, I'm not inclined to ask. If I see legal signage (30.06 or 51% for Texas) that lets me know I can't carry then I don't. The problem with asking is sometimes the person you ask doesn't really know or just assumes they know. Sometimes this even applies to LE.

MIO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 09:42:17 PM »
Neighbor has some valid points on the asking anyone. States with specific signage you would think security would know if those were on the building and if they are doing screening for what.
It's kinda hard to answer without know what state. The alcohol thing, you mention, is one that varies drastically from state to state.
I normally don't ask but I also don't go places I need to either. The few I have were not the norm for me and special events having to do with being there for family.
I do disagree that a LEO working an event won't know what the law is because I am a LEO and the laws and/or rules are fairly cut n dry at events. Besides who is it you think is going to enforce it? It ain't the girl selling t shirts.

corymarrs

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 03:13:53 PM »
Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. As far as the state in which I live, it's Texas.

Thank you again.

Albannach

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 05:23:24 PM »
A word of caution:  Even if you do not see a 30.06 sign at the entrance or there is no obvious indication that you cannot carry at the concert, there may be what I refer to as a "stealth" sign inside the event.  Sometime ago I was at a concert at the Palmer Events Center in Austin.  There were No 30.06 signs to be seen anywhere.  During intermission, I went to the lobby and walked the length of it to stretch my legs. I noticed that  wine and beer were being sold from a portable bar at one end of the lobby.  A 51% sign had been taped to the wall behind the bar. However, there was no obvious boundary where the bar began or ended, no seats, no tables, or any other thing that would let a person know when they were or were not "in the bar".  I immediately left the vicinity and returned to my seat all the while wondering if the entire property was considered a bar because of the 51% sign (which I would never have seen had I not wandered in that direction during intermission). I don't know where you live but here in Travis County where our district attorney and the Austin Police Chief are on record as being anti-CHL and not exactly big fans of the Second Amendment, it's a safe bet they would jump at the chance to prosecute a CHL holder if they got the chance.  Keep you eyes open!

Vswbcjik

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 04:41:06 PM »
This postis s very informative. Thank you!