Author Topic: Ammo left in carry on baggage  (Read 2527 times)

CarsonATX

Ammo left in carry on baggage
« on: January 22, 2015, 01:02:54 PM »
Well I sure do feel stupid having to ask about this. Last weekend I was taking a flight from Austin to San diego, after I passed through the body scanner I noticed several tsa agents were looking at the X-ray of my bag on the screen. Next thing I know, I have 3 tsa agents, 2 police officers and a man in a suit (probably tsa management) searching my bag. They pulled out a loaded 8 round .45 magazine that I left in there by mistake. I explained why it was in there and that it was an honest mistake, the police called in my drivers license number and confirmed my chl was valid. My question to the lawyers is, did I commit a crime? And will I be charged, fined, or have my chl revoked by this? I know it is a prohibited item but I never went past the security checkpoint with it, I mean that's what they're there for right? I didn't recive any citation that day or any sort of paperwork from tsa or the police.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ammo left in carry on baggage
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 03:36:42 PM »
CarsonATX,

Since you were not arrested at the airport, it sounds like you are only looking at a civil fine. You should get something in the mail from TSA shortly that will contain this information. Unfortunately, the fine will probably be several thousand dollars. You may call the number on the paperwork and try to negotiate the fine down, and occasionally we’ve found that people have success with this. On the bright side, this fine is entirely a civil matter and will not compromise your CHL in any way.

Thank you for your question. Hope this helps.

Neighbor

• View Profile
Re: Ammo left in carry on baggage
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 06:53:42 PM »
Wow CarsonATX, sounds like this could be an expensive "wake up call". I don't fly much, but understand how one might forget a magazine stuck in a carry on bag if that is where it stays the rest of the time while traveling. Not near as tough, but I always have a pocket knife on me and one time in Lubbock they let me know I couldn't fly with it. I even emptied my pocket into the bin and never thought about it until they called me over. Nothing came of it except I lost a good pocket knife. I'd be interested in a followup post that lets us know the outcome of this.