Author Topic: Teaching as a consultant // Off-hours school  (Read 2050 times)

TexasZiva

Teaching as a consultant // Off-hours school
« on: February 02, 2015, 01:27:12 PM »
I have a two part question …

- I am teaching a children's class on Saturdays - as a consultant - for a non-profit organization. This non-profit is NOT a school, but offers classes.
- The non-profit rents space from a church/private school to conduct the classes.

1) Do I need [written] permission from the non-profit whether it is ok to carry while teaching for them?
2) Can I carry on the "school grounds" while teaching?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Teaching as a consultant // Off-hours school
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 02:41:05 PM »
TexasZiva,

If there is a clear delineation between the church building and the school building, you actually conduct the course in the church building, and there is no 30.06 sign, you are fine to carry. If the school and church occupy the same building, or you think it is possible that school activities are ever conducted in the part of the building you use, you will need authorization to carry in writing from the school administration. Also make sure the non-profit does not have a policy against its agents & employees carrying while on the job, but the non-profit does not need to authorize in writing.

The “grounds” are generally fine even without authorization, so long as there is not a school sponsored activity or sports event going on. What you need to watch out for is the school “premises,” which begin and end with the school buildings.

Written authorization is not an exception to 30.06. If there is a 30.06 sign on the property, all bets are off and you will want to leave the firearm in the car.

Thank you for your question.

TexasZiva

Re: Teaching as a consultant // Off-hours school
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 04:28:33 PM »
Thank you for your reply, and thank you for reminding of the distinction between "grounds" and "premises".