Author Topic: Signs outside a Bar and Grill  (Read 8370 times)

TexanTrail

Signs outside a Bar and Grill
« on: February 06, 2015, 10:57:21 AM »
[attachment=0:14sdorty]CCL.jpg[/attachment:14sdorty]A new sports bar and grill opened near my house.  It has two signs when you go in the front door.  One says "NOTICE  The unlicensed possesion of a weapon on these premises is a felony........", and the other sign says " No Firearms or weapons allowed on this property".  Since I have a CCL, can I still CC in this establishment.  Please see attached photo.

Thanks,
David
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

epontius

Re: Signs outside a Bar and Grill
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 11:26:38 AM »
Technically yes. You are prohibited from carrying in an establishment that derives 51% or more of revenue from the sale of alcohol for onsite consumption (a bar). They are required to post a red 51% sign if they do.
You can look up the status of a business on the TABC site: http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/PublicInquiry/Status.aspx
If it says "Gun sign: RED" they have a 51%
And of course you can't drink if carrying as it's against the law to be intoxicated and carry and they don't define "intoxication" so any amount you consume while carrying could be criminal.
The blue sign like the one in your photo is a TABC requirement for any business that sells alcohol and doesn't derive 51% from sales for onsite consumption.
The "gun buster" sign in your photo is not legally binding. If you carry and they discover that you have a concealed firearm, they could ask you to leave or call the cops and they ask you to leave (after checking your CHL), refusing to do so is trespassing.
If they wish to prohibit people with CHL from carrying in their business they would need to post the appropriate 30.06 sign, which I don't see in your photo.

CongoHarry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 01:41:30 PM »
I don't spend my money in establishments where I'm not welcome, but the State of Texas says I should be...

EdO

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 07:51:33 PM »
Quote from: "CongoHarry"
I don't spend my money in establishments where I'm not welcome, but the State of Texas says I should be...

Exactly.  No guns,  no business!   I understand why they don't want guns,  but that's their problem, not mine.  There are other places I can spend my money.  Even my bank doesn't have 30.06 signs.  The local liquor store that I chose to give my business has 10% off for CHL holders.  You want my money,  let me carry my gun.  Discount appreciated, but not necessary.

dhgrimes

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 01:53:22 PM »
I agree that I will not patronize a business with these signs.  It is of course their right to post those signs but they should know that there are consequences to their bottom line for doing so.  

I recently posted a question on the "ask a lawyer" section of the forums regarding a very similar topic and they will be reviewing it and giving legal feedback soon.

Grab86

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 12:06:17 AM »
Yeah dear, I have also noticed theses signs at best sports bar nyc. I frequently keep going there and I really like the venue and bar area, so you can also visit there and enjoy best services.

mayfieldh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 08:09:54 AM »
TexanTrail, all you have to notice for when you walk in an establishments of any kind is the 30.06 & the 51% signs.  Any other signs DO NOT PERTAIN to you if you have a CHL..  Just be careful in some of those bars because sometime you won't see the 51% sign outside the front door.  I have seen them hanging over the bar once I entered and even on the way out the door.  And as "Epontius" says, if any of these places NOT posting the correct sign notice or hear that you are carrying, they can ask you to leave which you should do IMMEDIATELY.

mracr07

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 03:44:56 PM »
What about the local dirt track that i frequent on saturday nights? all they have is the red slash gun picture. Is this considered a professional sporting event? I dont consider it to be.

mayfieldh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 01:15:15 PM »
Quote from: "mracr07"
What about the local dirt track that i frequent on saturday nights? all they have is the red slash gun picture. Is this considered a professional sporting event? I dont consider it to be.

I would guess NOT since this is NOT a legal gambling place.  The sign itself doesn't stop you from going in because it is NOT a legal sign for CHL holders.  However, I'm NOT an attorney so you might want to place this question in the "Ask the Attorney" section because it is a sporting event area.