Author Topic: ATF ruling on .223/.556 ammo.  (Read 7859 times)

LucasMcCain

• I am not a lawyer.
    • View Profile
ATF ruling on .223/.556 ammo.
« on: February 17, 2015, 12:25:12 PM »
A friend of mine alerted me to this issue, and I wanted to ask you guys about it. Apparently the ATF is looking to ban ball ammo in .223 and .556, with the possibility of extending that to include other popular rifle calibers. The rationale seems to be that these rounds can be used in handguns and thereby constitute armor piercing handgun rounds. It also involves whether or not the rounds in question are intended for "sporting purposes." This is clearly insane, but that doesn't mean it won't pass. I would just like to know what my lawyer friends have to say on the subject, what we can do to oppose this, and how real this threat to our 2A rights is. Thanks.

This is the most concise and ad free article I have found on the subject.
http://nssf.org/share/blastLinks/Action ... mo_Ban.htm
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

MIO

• View Profile
Re: ATF ruling on .223/.556 ammo.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 06:12:41 PM »
It's  M855/SS109 ammo mainly. They are grasping at anything they can get after taking the beating on politics and with the current admin on its last stand

http://tacticalshit.com/action-alert-op ... ition-ban/

I wrote an email to the ATF

To: "APAComments@atf.gov" <APAComments@atf.gov>
Subject: Proposed Ban of M855/SS109 Ball Ammo

This proposed ban is not based on any real threat to officers, like myself, rather it is political.
This ammo has been sold for years with little to no issues or impact on crime.
Almost ANY rifle ammo can penetrate most soft armor worn by officers and very few criminals are walking around with AR "pistols" in their baggy pants loaded up with "green tips".
Realistically bad guys use concealable, lightweight, economical handguns that can be easily tossed and replaced rather than expensive, bulky and easily seen long and tall "pistols" while on the street.
Trained shooters know how to handle armor issues anyways without special ammo and are not an issue for normal crime encountered so removing this will accomplish nothing.
Administrative vs reality in law enforcement seems to be a real issue with many agencies right now. Base your decisions on facts rather than possible promotions from non law enforcement politicians on their last remaining days in their term.
Unfounded fears of ARs by politicians who believe "the government" is different from "the people" is no reason for change in the laws rather it is a signal for change in those who think that way.
I rarely even use this ammunition but that doesn't change the basis for my choice in writing this. It in fact it was the least preferred ammunition in the Army when I served. What does that tell you about your "threat" analysis?
Lets focus federal resources on real crimes like actually taking on cases present by local PDs with ground off serial numbers and illegal modifications. That will make a difference.

If you all choose to write them, at the e-mail below, all I ask is that you keep it professional. Sending F-bombs, while they are wrongly my steady vocal stream at time, will not help the cause and only give them what they need by showing only those responses to the decision makers.

Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 01:50:11 PM »
LucasMcCain,

You’ve give a concise and accurate summary of the proposed change. Unfortunately, the threat of this proposed rule becoming law is very, very real. The ATF will take commentary on the rule through March 16, 2015, and we highly recommend that people share their views with the agency. Hopefully public outrage and commentary will help stop it. Pasted below is the meat of the new rule, which redefines “armor piercing ammunition” by limiting the “sporting purposes” exception.

Category I: .22 Caliber Projectiles

A .22 caliber projectile that otherwise would be classified as armor piercing ammunition under 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(17)(B) will be considered to be “primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes” under section 921(a)(17)(C) if the projectile weighs 40 grains or less AND is loaded into a rimfire cartridge.

Category II: All Other Caliber Projectiles

Except as provided in Category I (.22 caliber rimfire), projectiles that otherwise would be classified as armor piercing ammunition will be presumed to be “primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes” under section 921(a)(17)(C) if the projectile is loaded into a cartridge for which the only handgun that is readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade is a single shot handgun. ATF nevertheless retains the discretion to deny any application for a “sporting purposes” exemption if substantial evidence exists that the ammunition is not primarily intended for such purposes.

Thank you for your question.

gunnut1

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 06:15:18 PM »
And, it is my understand that this "ruling" is being driven by an obama executive order. Not defending the ATF here but it ain't their fault. They are merely doing what the boss wants them to do.

daniel8888

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 03:35:42 AM »
This was posted on website:  BREAKING: ATF Claims Paperwork Showing M855 Banned Was “Publishing Error” in Release
By Reagan Wilson on March 6, 2015

Read more: http://controversialtimes.com/news/brea ... z3TsLexkjP

Is this report valid?

Got this From the atf.gov site:  https://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files ... 3-7-15.pdf

Corrections dated March 7, 2015

MIO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 08:16:49 PM »
atf backs off
http://tacticalshit.com/atf-shelves-con ... -proposal/
I say this all the time "You Will Only Have What You Have When It Goes Down". Most folk think I'm talking bout the zombie apocalypse when I say this but it applies to anything that effects you. "Buy It Cheap, Stack It Deep"

MIO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 04:52:58 PM »
52 senators warn of sweeping ammo bans, say Second Amendment 'at risk'
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/52-se ... le/2561295

CongoHarry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 09:14:13 AM »
[quote="MIO"
I say this all the time "You Will Only Have What You Have When It Goes Down". Most folk think I'm talking bout the zombie apocalypse when I say this but it applies to anything that effects you. "Buy It Cheap, Stack It Deep"[/quote]

Words to live by.  During the Great Ammo Famine of 2009-2013, most gun store shelves in my former state of residence were completely bereft of ammunition, and none to be had online. 22lr was considered to be nothing more than a myth; a legend retold around the campfires of old men.  Some told of a time when it was so plentiful, it could be acquired by the "brick" for less than $10.  What could be found of .223/.556 never reached the shelves.  It was simply snapped up as it came off the delivery trucks. The weapons that used it, were in equally short supply.  People desperate to find something, anything to protect their families stood five deep at gun store sales counters.  "You will only have what you have when it goes down."    

"The price of Liberty is eternal vigilance."  The ATF will be back.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 12:19:01 PM »
LucasMcCain,

Great summary of what was going on. As of this week however, the ATF has decided to back off! The new rule, which was in the commentary period until March 16, has been postponed indefinitely.

Vswbcjik

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 04:48:35 PM »
Many thanks for sharing good info…!!!)