Author Topic: Shooting at Mall who bans guns  (Read 5635 times)

rjonesassn

Shooting at Mall who bans guns
« on: February 26, 2015, 03:36:54 PM »
Given the recent treat by ISIS to attack various Malls in the USA and the response from some Malls to post a sign banning guns (regardless of whether or not the sign is legally sufficient) raises a legal question.  If firearms are banned (legally or otherwise) at a mall and a member shoots in self defense whether the threat is from a terrorist attack or an attempted armed robbery, is that termed a legal use of the firearm from the aspect that Texas Law Shield will come to your defense?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

CongoHarry

• View Profile
Re: Shooting at Mall who bans guns
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 10:10:33 AM »
Interesting question, and one perhaps best posted in the "Ask the Lawyers" section for an accurate response from the pros.  This from TLS FAQ section:
Does the program defend me if I get caught carrying a gun somewhere the law says I shouldn’t?

No. Our program provides legal defense for your “use” of a firearm anywhere in Texas where you can legally be in possession of a firearm.

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 04:49:57 PM »
I'm guessing it depends on the outcome as well as what area of the country you are in. Assuming you do everything right (except for having a gun in a 30.06 posted area) and either stop the bad guys or even reduce the casualty rate by making them leave, I am guessing that most officials in "normal" states would look the other way, BUT if ANYTHING was to go the least bit wrong - i.e. you accidentally shot someone other than the "bad guys" or even caused folks near you to get shot by the bad guy because he or she was trying to get you - I would guess there are places that would try to make an example out of you. I also suspect that Texas Law Shield folks would take a long look at the circumstances before committing.
And of course there is also the danger to you of being one of the folks with a gun in a place where no one is supposed to have a weapon when the "good guys" finally show up. (This however is not a legal problem, but a possibility of being shot problem).
Like CongoHarry said, if you want a professional opinion on this it would be better posted in the "Ask the Lawyers" section.

spanman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 04:57:36 AM »
IMHO, In any  "Gun free zone" they should provide a SECURE method of entry, I.E. metal detectors, Armed guards, etc.

Floyd

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 09:57:41 PM »
I'm not comfortable in a place that bans sidearms. The way I see it is unless they provide a safe entry ( medal detectors and armed guards ) all there doing it taking away my right as an American to defend myself and my Family.  Because the Bad guys never follow the rules and will walk right in with a weapon if they can. Just my two cents worth.

Safe Shooting to All :)