Author Topic: "Duty to Act"  (Read 3502 times)

dcdwilliams

"Duty to Act"
« on: March 27, 2014, 04:58:21 PM »
My question is as a certified Fireman and  licensed Emergency Care Attendant and CHL holder. Should I be forced to use my weapon do i have a "duty to act" as a licensed ECA/ certified Fireman. I am sure there are several factors to this. Who is with me, am I safe, are there other attackers, all of that but I guess just plain and simple. If I shoot some one do I have to go check for pulse, do CPR/ rescue breathing, or treat the other person. Should I or should I stay away from them? What can happen either way if I do or if i don't? The "what if's" are endless here, such as what if I am alone with my kids, wife and I and kids, I am alone, different scenario might dictate different outcome.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: "Duty to Act"
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 11:11:09 AM »
Thank you for the question dcdwilliams.

Clearly, you're first obligation is to the safety of yourself and the others around you, so after you have to use deadly force against someone, make sure that everyone who was threatened is safe first.

Then, if everyone is safe, the circumstances will dictate whether or not you could or should help the individual against whom the deadly force was used. I do not believe there are any criminal ramifications for failing to give aid to someone you have justifiably used deadly force against. Additionally, I am unaware of any specific administrative requirements that would apply from your licensure as an ECA.

Aside from those considerations, you should listen to your own moral compass.

Hope that helps.

Re: "Duty to Act"
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 09:37:23 AM »
They will bleed out faster if you administer CPR. :)  (JK)