Author Topic: Commisioned Security Officer under 21  (Read 4006 times)

standingmyground

Commisioned Security Officer under 21
« on: March 30, 2014, 09:19:02 PM »
Hello TLS. I am a commissioned security officer here in the great state of Texas and I am looking for some clarification regarding something no one seems to agree on.. Let me explain: I am registered as a COMMISIONED SEC. OFC., meaning I am supposed to able to use a firearm on the job. However, I cannot legally buy a gun (due to age, I'm only 20) and someone is not supposed to buy one for me. Regardless, my father and I went to a gun store and I gave him the money to purchase a firearm and ammunition after being told by my instructor that it would be fine as long as my daddy bought it. The clerk at the first gun store we went to said he wouldn't sell either of us a gun after we told him what we were doing.. then the second gun store clerk said to my father: "you aren't buying it for him, are you?" Obviously my father lied and said "no." The clerk made a big deal out of it but we finally got the gun.

So I'm completely confused.. I thought it would be fine as long as my daddy bought it for me? Is this going to be an issue with me using "my daddy's" gun on the job? If an officer of the law pulls me over and sees it in my glove box will I be arrested for possessing it? Or even if he sees it on me at my job? Am I okay as long as I say it's my daddy's gun? By all legal means, it is his gun after all. I just gave him the money to purchase it.

Any legal clarification with links or quotes would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

Re: Commisioned Security Officer under 21
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 09:40:31 AM »
The problem is YOU paid for the gun.

Your father can buy a gun and 'give' it to you but if you reimburse him, you have both broken the law.  

It does not have to make sense, it's just the law.

The FFL can lose his/her license if he knows that what you are doing.

standingmyground

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 11:08:01 AM »
I see. And can you post a link to the law that states that. No offense but I've heard 3 professionals offer differing opinions and I'm really looking for bold print that states what is and isn't illegal regarding this matter. Thank you.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 09:50:22 AM »
First, the scenario you have laid out is what is known as a "straw man purchase," which is illegal. A person cannot buy a handgun for another person. However, after the legal purchase of a firearm, if someone were to gift the gun to another person, that would be completely in the bounds of the law.

Further, even though your father purchased the gun, if you are the only one using it, by all legal means, it is your gun. There is no need to tell a police officer that your Dad bought it for you. You may lawfully possess a handgun in your vehicle as long as it is concealed.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 01:52:10 PM »
As far as the law you are looking for, the federal age restrictions prohibiting FFLs from selling to persons under the age of 21 are found in 18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1) and 27 CFR 478.99(b)(1).