Author Topic: Private firing range - legal?  (Read 3163 times)

jparker33

Private firing range - legal?
« on: April 15, 2014, 01:07:36 PM »
A neighbor has let it be known that he intends to build a private shooting range on his property for occasional use. Other neighbors are reacting strongly in a negative way.

My interest is whether it is legal for him to do so, and by inference for me to do the same.

His property is outside the corporate limits of Cedar Park, but inside the extraterritorial jurisdiction, and inside Travis county. I believe that Travis county has no restriction on firearm discharge on private property, though it is hard to verify the absence of an ordinance. Cedar Park has a restriction that reads:

"It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge a firearm, bow and arrow, crossbow or blow gun within the corporate limits of the city. (1998 Code, sec. 7.102)  (Section 8.01.002)"

My question concerns the application of extraterritorial jurisdiction to this ordinance, whether it has to be explicit (i.e. something like "within the corporate limits of the city or its extraterritorial jurisdiction"), or whether it is implied in some way. The only piece of relevant evidence I have uncovered on this question is not specific to firearms, it concerns other aspects of ETJ, but it seems to indicate that an ordinance has to specifically state that it applies to the EJT.

The property in question here is less than 10 acres, so extension of the above ordinance to the Cedar Park EJT would apply to this property under Texas 229.002.

So, the question is, does the above ordinance apply implicitly to the extraterritorial jurisdiction?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Private firing range - legal?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 04:04:37 PM »
The answer is no. I do not believe the ordinance implicitly applies to extraterritorial jurisdiction. It would appear that both you two would be okay in creating your own firing ranges.

Thanks for the question. Hope that helps.

jparker33

Re: Private firing range - legal?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 12:01:56 PM »
Thanks so much for your reply.  It is as I thought.    We'll probably forgo the range for us as a NEW, exciting indoor range is opening just a mile from us!  Also don't want to scare the neighbors as they are working themselves up into hysterics of 'lost property value and murdered grandchildren'.  Those things have happened, but very rarely.  Balancing relative dangers is something most people have a difficult time with.  Best not to dwell on things you have no control over.

Again thanks, TLS, we appreciate your efforts on our behalf!