Author Topic: Can Employer Prevent Carry of Handgun in Personal Vehicle?  (Read 3014 times)

GarryLaxton

Can Employer Prevent Carry of Handgun in Personal Vehicle?
« on: April 15, 2014, 03:14:01 PM »
I am employed with a multi-national company in the role of technical and applications support in the oil and gas (drilling), refining and petrochemical industries.  As such, I travel extensively over a wide territory including Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arkansas and Louisiana.  I use my personal vehicle for travel, and am reimbursed for mileage by the company.  Company policy prohibits carry of any firearms, even in a personal vehicle, while on company business.  Is this prohibition legally binding?  I travel alone extensively in areas that have the potential to be dangerous, and should be able to provide for my protection.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Can Employer Prevent Carry of Handgun in Personal Vehicl
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 04:07:05 PM »
Thanks for the question GarryLaxton,

Unfortunately, a company can set whatever policy they desire. If a person violates that policy, then they may be disciplined or even terminated. This includes a no-gun policy. However, there would be no criminal prosecution since you would not be violating any, but merely violating a company policy.

GarryLaxton

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 07:02:37 AM »
Would there be a case to be made against the employer for, perhaps, endangerment, since they would be preventing me from taking precautions for self-protection that are otherwise legal in the states I travel?

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 02:37:09 PM »
No, unfortunately gun owners are not a protected class of people where such a lawsuit would be successful. These sorts of discrimination claims only relate to issues pertaining to race, gender and sex.