Author Topic: Renewal as an expat?  (Read 2199 times)

infrandom

Renewal as an expat?
« on: April 18, 2014, 01:26:24 AM »
I have a question, I just got my renewal notice via mail. A couple weeks ago I started an expat assignment for work and am now living outside of the country for work purposes. I am still maintaining a residential mailing address in the US although it will be a change from my previous residential address currently registered. For the time being I still own the home that is on file for my CHL/DMV but that will change soon.

Is there anything I should be aware about in regards to renewing my CHL for when I am back home in Houston? Is there an order I should update my information at various places for the registration? Is there any other things I need to consider to submit my online renewal? As I understand it, there is no longer a class room requirement for renewals.

Thanks
Dan
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Renewal as an expat?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 11:40:13 AM »
Dan,

Good question. You are correct in that the CHL process no longer requires a classroom portion, and in fact, the entire process can be done online. In light of this, anywhere you can access a computer you can renew your CHL.

The fact that you are temporarily out of the country does not preclude you from renewing your Texas CHL as long as you intend to return. If you wait until after the expiration date to renew your license, however, it will have expired and you will have to apply for a new license which will require the classroom component.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »