Author Topic: Corps of Engineeers property  (Read 3527 times)

Dirks44

Corps of Engineeers property
« on: April 19, 2014, 08:38:39 AM »
At our CHL class, the instructor was very ambivalent about the rights of a CHL holder on Corps of Engineers land, specifically campgrounds located within lands owned by them, as well as Corps of Engineers lakes.  He seemed to indicate that while they don't post the 30.06 signs, they do visibly show signs with the guns "crossed out", and in their case he said that may or may not be enough, since they are federally controlled.  Since almost all the lakes here in Central Texas are Corps of Engineers lakes, if that is true then the right to take your gun with you in your boat or car seems to be negated.  The instructor sort of "winked" and indicated you might be able to get away with it, maybe not.  I'm not comfortable with his explanation.  What is the status of a CHL holder on Corps of Engineers property?  Is it "black and white", or one of those "grey" areas that we're never sure about?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Corps of Engineeers property
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 03:41:50 PM »
Dirks44,

Unfortunately, your instructor is correct. It is ambiguous, and each district commander is allowed to create their own rules regarding firearms possession in the areas they control.

There is a court case in Idaho making its way through the courts which is challenging the Army Corps of Engineers' ability to regulate firearms on their own land. Therefore, an answer to this problem may soon come from the courts.  Right now it is awaiting trial after the issuance of a preliminary injunction.

Thanks for the question. Hope that helps out.

Dirks44

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 04:30:11 PM »
Not exactly what I wanted to hear.  To follow up:  do they have to post the 30.06 sign, or is the generic sign with the slash mark through the gun or whatever enough for them?  Does the same apply on the lake itself....I can't have a gun in my boat?

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 11:04:40 AM »
A sign is not required for federal property. The best policy is to call the Army Corps of Engineers office and ask whether firearms are permitted on the land or on the water itself. Keep in mind that federal law trumps Texas law.

Texas law states that you can keep a firearm in your watercraft, however since this may be technically considered federal property, Texas law does not apply.

Dirks44

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 02:36:13 PM »
Thanks.  I suspected as much.