Author Topic: Handgun in vehicle  (Read 2738 times)

dfb1950

Handgun in vehicle
« on: April 20, 2014, 07:54:01 PM »
I have a concealed carry license.  I have recently purchased a steering column mounted holster which mounts under the column and provides easy access.  However, I have had several people tell me it is illegal because it could possibly be seen through a window if someone was looking at the right angle. I have received different answers from police officers...some say legal, some say illegal, some say depends on the particular officer.  Can you help me with this?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

Dirks44

Re: Handgun in vehicle
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 10:27:19 AM »
I'm no lawyer, but at the CHL class, the instructor did go over that particular scenario.  Even in a vehicle, the gun must still be covered by something so as not to be visible without lifting or moving something to see it.  He used a piece of paper as an example, and by placing the paper over the gun, it was legal....without the paper, not so.  I believe the glove box or console would qualify as being okay, but I doubt what you are talking about would be.  Wait on the Law Shield lawyer for the final word on this, tho'.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Handgun in vehicle
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 03:44:17 PM »
Good question dfb1950. Yes, we have heard of people being charged for having this type of holster, because at certain angles portions of the gun are visible, therefore making it a violation of Texas Penal Code 46.02. In our opinion, it would not be very wise to have this being that so much is left to the officer's discretion.