Author Topic: 51 percent sign location  (Read 3779 times)

kurtpenn

• View Profile
51 percent sign location
« on: April 22, 2014, 12:35:10 AM »
I would like clarification relating to where or how the 51 percent sign should be displayed.

The reason I ask is this past weekend my wife and I were out and walked onto an establishment's patio for some snacks and a glass of wine.  I always look to see if an establishment has a 51 percent sign displayed.  I did not see any at this location.  Later, we went inside and not until we approached the actual 'bar' did we see a sign posted on a wall behind it.  I looked for one at both the patio and front door entrances and did not see any 51 percent signage posted.

What are the laws regarding this type of display?  I worry that I could possibly be carrying and not see the sign.  Aren't establishments required to post the proper signage at all entrances?  What happens if it is posted, but in an area that I don't necessarily see?

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 51 percent sign location
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 11:01:54 AM »
Government code section 411.204 states that an establishment that receives 51% or more of it's income from the sale of alcohol for on-premises consumption must prominently display at each entrance to the business premises a 51% sign.

In your scenario, if there was a main entrance, there should have been a 51% sign displayed there. However, keep in mind that this is an administrative rule and violation of the rule is not criminally actionable against the bar.

Thanks for the question kurtpenn.

kurtpenn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 08:13:01 PM »
So if I happened to get caught with a firearm in a 51% location because of improperly placed signs, could I still be criminally charged though?

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 11:11:18 AM »
Unfortunately, yes. As soon as you see the sign, you should leave. There may be a situation where you can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride.