Author Topic: Carry at Non-profit with school?  (Read 5108 times)

Staidan

Carry at Non-profit with school?
« on: April 23, 2014, 05:23:17 PM »
So, I am the Director of a non-profit organization, and we have a pre-school/mother's day out on our property.  The school is 'owned' by the non-profit - and the school director is a direct subordinate to me.  The school is spatially limited within our wider campus, but the buildings do connect (albeit with secured doors separating the entities).  At times the school will transport children across a shared parking lot to a children's play ground, but children are never on my side of campus.  

Questions...
How does this affect my carrying a CC weapon?  (I'm a new CHL, and haven't carried on premises yet.)
When school is NOT in session (like after hours or Saturday/Sunday), is it lawful to carry?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

switch

• View Profile
Re: Carry at Non-profit with school?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 05:23:14 PM »
Just get 'written pe.rmission' from the school.  I guess you could give yourself written permission

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 12:10:37 PM »
In the case of a building that has a dual purpose, as in it is a school part of the time but also serves  another purpose when school is not in session, concealed carry would only be statutorily prohibited while school is actually being conducted. A building that is owned by an educational institution is a school 100% of the time.

If you are uneasy about whether or not your concealed carry will be viewed as illegal whenever you are around the school, the law does provide that anyone with written authorization can carry on those school premises. The written authorization should come from the authority of the educational institution.

Staidan

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 12:59:54 PM »
Thanks for the insight.  That's helpful.  Just to clarify...  The building is not owned by the school.  The school is owned by the non-profit, which owns the totality of the property.  The school is certified by the state as an educational institution.  Does this make any difference?

switch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 01:10:32 PM »
Ask (tell) the school director to give you written permission.  If they will not, change school directors. :)

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 03:54:54 PM »
Because the school is considered an educational institution under Texas law, you are  prohibited from carrying their concealed handgun onto it's premises unless you are given written permission with the authority to do so (such as a superintendent or a school board).

Hope that helps.

Staidan

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 01:22:27 PM »
Ok, that is helpful.  

2 Questions...

1.  I am the CEO/Director of the organization.  The 'school' Director is my subordinate and reports directly to me.  The school board possesses "delegated" authority from the larger institution's board, which I direct.  All staff falls under my authority, not either of these boards.  Does this mean I can give myself permission to carry on the school premises?  :)

2.  Is it possible for a CHL holder to carry on "any" one particular education institution's premises if the governing board of that institution grants written permission for that to happen?

Sorry to be so finicky.  :)

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 03:03:38 PM »
Staidan,

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, it would appear so as long as it is in writing, as ridiculous as it seems.

2. The law simply says that carrying by a CHL holder can be accomplished on the premises of a school or educational institution with written permission or written regulation allowing such. The written regulation may be specific as to which campus you are allowed to carry or it may be general. It is all up to the discretion of the school authority.