Author Topic: Controlling Vermin  (Read 2445 times)

toyoung

Controlling Vermin
« on: April 27, 2014, 01:07:58 PM »
I have a question about using select firearms to terminate vermin within your home or on your property.  A friend of mine lives within the city limits of San Antonio and recently discovered a LARGE possum in his attic. I know there are various ways to get rid of vermin, but I wanted to ask if it is legal to do one of the following scenarios:

1) He has a 22 rifle and 22 bird-shot loads. Can he use this on his property to kill the possum?

2) I can loan him my .177 pellet gun rifle.  Can he use this on his property to kill the possum?  

Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Controlling Vermin
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 04:00:44 PM »
Thanks for the question toyoung,

As to your first scenario: There are no specific laws in Texas that allow you to dispatch vermin. Your friend may be in violation of a city ordinance like discharge of a firearm within the city limits of a city over 100,000 people. Depending on the statute, it may or may not have justification.

Hopefully, a police officer would use his common sense in dealing with this matter. However, if he does not, if your friend is a member of TLS, tell him not to hesitate to call our office, and we will try to talk some sense into any county attorney that takes the case.

For the second scenario: Yes, as long as he can lawfully possess a firearm, you may loan him or give him the gun to kill the possum.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »