Author Topic: Acting from a vehicle  (Read 2590 times)

Staidan

Acting from a vehicle
« on: April 30, 2014, 01:41:18 PM »
Theoretical question (borne out of strange ponderings of potential realities in my community)...  
I'm driving from home to the shooting range (or vice-a-versa) and stop at a gas station to fill up.  An incident occurs demanding reasonable use of force in the parking lot, or just outside the convenience store.  If I do NOT possess a CHL (i.e. am not licensed), what are the legal options for action in this situation...  (1)  If I am already in my car and possess a firearm.  (2)  If I am out of my car, perhaps attending to pumping gas, and a firearm is in the car?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Acting from a vehicle
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 03:09:21 PM »
That's a very good question.

Without a license you have to leave your gun in the car. If somebody unlawfully attempts to enter your car while you are in it or remove you from it, you have the presumption that deadly force is reasonable. If you see a crime being committed inside the store, assuming it is an aggravated robbery, then you have the presumption that deadly force is reasonable in response to the commission of the act.

Even without a license, if you observed an armed robbery in the store and retrieved your gun from the car in response to the armed robbery, it would still be justifiable. Saving your life or the life of another is paramount to any kind of unlawful carry law that you may have had to break in order to act in self-defense or defense of third parties.

Staidan

Re: Acting from a vehicle
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 07:22:50 AM »
Ok.  Thanks.  Very helpful.