Author Topic: Question while traveling  (Read 2144 times)

pawlins

Question while traveling
« on: May 06, 2014, 02:44:17 PM »
I have searched online but I cannot find any information on this..

I will be traveling in different states(Nebraska, Oklahoma and Kansas) with my girlfriend and she does not possess a CHL permit. I do however, but I will not be driving the entire trip and I would like to keep my gun in the glovebox or center console while driving as it is uncomfortable to wear on very long road trips. So my question is can she drive the vehicle with a loaded firearm in the center console as long as I have a valid CHL? I know this would not matter in Texas as it is legal.

I know that Texas Law Shield does not cover Nebraska so I am not really expecting too much information on that state.

Thank you for all you do TLS.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Question while traveling
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 03:28:36 PM »
Thanks for the question pawlins.
While travelling in Oklahoma, as long as there is a person with a license to carry a handgun (issued by any state) in or around the automobile, a loaded, concealed handgun can be carried in that vehicle.  It does not matter whether or not the driver has a handgun license or where the loaded, concealed handgun is kept.  Therefore, your girlfriend would be OK (pun intended) if you are asleep in the back seat and there is a loaded, concealed handgun in the glove compartment or center console.  If you are not in or around the vehicle and your girlfriend is alone in the car, it would be illegal for her to have the loaded, concealed handgun in the glove compartment or center console.

In Nebraska, the gun cannot be carried in the glovebox or the center console, but has to be carried on your person.

On the other hand, Kansas state law says it would be fine to have it either one, however, local  ordinances may have stricter ordinances. Therefore, to err on the side of caution, if you are not going to be driving and/or awake, the best course of action would be to keep the gun on your person.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »