Author Topic: Question regarding Dallas and Fort Worth Zoo  (Read 3362 times)

pawlins

Question regarding Dallas and Fort Worth Zoo
« on: May 07, 2014, 05:52:10 AM »
I would like to carry my concealed handgun at the Dallas and the Fort Worth Zoo, but I heard that they are posting 30.06 signs. According to their websites they are owned by the city of Dallas and the city of Fort Worth, and from my belief you can carry on any city owned ground whether there is a 30.06 sign posted or not. I have done a lot research on this and have read other forums but it is very mixed answers. I would like to know if I CAN carry past these signs because it is owned by the city or just leave it in my car.

Thank you again TLS!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Question regarding Dallas and Fort Worth Zoo
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 03:31:24 PM »
pawlins,

Yes, it appears that both the Ft. Worth and Dallas zoos are still owned by their respective cities. However, they have turned over management of the zoos to private entities.

Since the property that the zoo is located on still appears to be owned by the city regardless of it management by a private enterprise, the 30.06 signs they are posting should be ineffective pursuant to 30.06(e).

However, while the signs should have no force, the police and the DA's office may have a different opinion. If you are arrested, the DA would have to prove that 30.06(e) does not apply in these cases, which in our opinion does not seem like a very good argument.

Thanks for the question. Hope that helps you.

pawlins

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 03:48:33 PM »
Thank you for the reply, so in other words carry on? If I would get arrested by carrying my handgun concealed and have a valid CHL would TLS represent me still?

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 03:42:00 PM »
Yes, if a TLS member was in a place where they had a lawful right to be, with a lawful handgun, and they were prosecuted for an offense that arose from the carrying of that handgun, that is something that would certainly be covered.