Author Topic: Website for local gun laws?  (Read 2968 times)

clint1078

Website for local gun laws?
« on: May 13, 2014, 07:32:59 PM »
I'm trying to find a resource for local laws and restrictions on shooting guns on personal property. I'm specifically looking for the minimum amount of land I can legally shoot a gun on in Bastrop county, outside the city limits. We're purchasing a home on 5.1 acres and want to know if I can shoot my guns and / or hunt. I've found some message boards with people's responses to what's legal, but I want to know for sure before I attempt it. Can you point me in the right direction?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Website for local gun laws?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 03:32:50 PM »
clint1078,

Thank you for the question. First of all, you need to determine exactly where your land is and what laws may apply to it. There is no statewide prohibition against shooting a firearm on your own land in the Texas statutes. However, Texas law does allow local governments to regulate this.

It is important to know if you are within the city limits or within the extra-territorial jurisdiction of the city, or even if you are in a county that is subject to no regulation by a city government. The limits of how far a city may go in regulating the discharge of a firearm are found in the Local Government Code.

Generally, private property parcels that are protected from a local government's ability to regulate discharge of a firearm are ten acres or greater. Since your parcel is five acres, there may very well be a county or city regulation that applies to your land.

This is not to say that your county definitely has a regulation, just that they have lawful authority to put one in place if they so choose.

Hope that clears things up for you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »