Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
General Firearms Law Discussion / Re: Colorado Employment Parking Lot -- Fired??
« Last post by Neighbor on December 05, 2017, 04:29:34 PM »
If you're asking for a lawyer's opinion, might put this question in the "Ask the Lawyer" section. Other than that, I would agree with Sammyboy - don't let folks know about the firearm. That means not talking about it with work folks. Another thought is the possibility of parking in another spot outside the employee lot but I don't know it that is feasible.
Obviously I would keep the vehicle locked and suggest having the weapon in a small gunsafe under a seat or possibly in a console - that way you can argue that it was unavailable to the average person.
Not sure what kind of company you work for, but I'm guessing the chances of them searching all vehicles in the parking area is slim. Other than keeping a low profile and not causing reason for a search, I'm guessing you just take your chances unless Colorado has some sort of parking lot bill like Texas.
General Firearms Law Discussion / Re: Colorado Employment Parking Lot -- Fired??
« Last post by sammyboy on December 04, 2017, 12:31:36 AM »
I can't answer your specific question but my feeling is don't let them find out you have a weapon in your car. If something happens that you need the weapon, better to have it and give yourself a fighting chance than to die.
General Firearms Law Discussion / Colorado Employment Parking Lot -- Fired??
« Last post by jcllings on December 03, 2017, 07:54:45 PM »
So, it's my understanding that if they find out I have a firearm in my vehicle in the parking lot at work, I could be fired. This according to Adam Kraut's legal channel.
This seems counter-intuitive because the car is my property, not theirs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXNNxCvwWgw

What can I do about this? What about disassembling the weapon? Then I have weapon parts but not a weapon.
Gun Talk / Re: What's the Best Gun for Concealed Carry?
« Last post by Hueyville on December 03, 2017, 07:27:27 AM »
Not only have I carried concealed for 34+ years, worked in gun shops, shot competative IPSC/IDPA and teach defensive firearms classes to newbies the best carry gun is an unanswerable question. Recently had a female student who was a long distance runner and of very slight build. She wanted to carry a gun but on 10 to 25 mile training runs was not going to carry anything heavy. I always try to expose my students to at least a dozen firearms before they purchase their carry gun. My smallest and lightest 380's she liked the weight but had issues with ergonomics of a semi auto. Also recoil was an issue with her size. She is carrying a "Scandium" S&W 351 PD in 22 Mag. At 10 ounces unloaded and we'll under a pound loaded with Hornady Critical Defense FTX. In this case the gun carried beats the gun left at home or in car.

I generally carry a SIG 2022 in 40 Smith with tritium sights as my work gun due to harsh environment. Whenever not working carry a 1911 Government Model. Usually have a 5" full size or even a 6" long slide as my primary and a SIG 1911 Double Nickle Compact as a backup since use same ammo and magazines. Other days will still carry a 5 shot 3" barrel 44 Special with two speed loaders. On even rarer days might catch me with a 9mm Hi Power or SIG but am very selective in 9mm ammo choices as feel it's a minimum caliber and why for competative use falls in minor cartridge division. Sometimes when have to be ultra discreet carry an AMT 380 Backup of which own seven as wife loves them for size and we stash them everwhere, especially when riding motorcycles. Mine are 100% reliabe as all carry guns get 500 rounds fired before trusted with my life. Any glitches are addressed with good gun smithing.

My wife who has a degenerative bone disease carries a Walther PK380 with Hornady Critical Defense as a primary most times but in her truck there is a 5.728 AR 15 in police style lock under back seat. She has three of the Walthers, all well shot and two required some smith work for 100% reliability and a pair of Colt Diamondbacks she confiscated when discovered how slick they shoot loaded with the low recoil Hornady Critical Defense with pink tips. It's offered in 380, 38 and 9mm with all still in her ability to shoot. She keeps a SIG 9mm with the low recoil Critical Defense and an Osprey suppressor on night stand.

Have clients that often choose a compact carry in 380 or 9mm and duty size 9mm or 40 Smith for home defense. So here is the conundrum... Asking which gun is best for CCW is like asking someone what is their favorite Sunday evening meal or favorite movie. I can run a dozen couples through a private class and have the twelve women choose one or two weapons totalling 16 models and men do the same. Try to get them trained on best concealed carry for each and a single duty size for home defense they share. Doesn't always work out like that. My 77 year old mother carries a S&W M-60 in 38 Special and after 40 years can shoot your left eye out from any distance someone is a threat.

Thus I suggest a class or finding a collector or group where can try a myriad of choices. Ranges that rent a wide variety of handguns is another answer. Not only should a handgun be comfortable to carry but comfortable to shoot. It needs to fit a person's individual needs and they need to practice with it regularly and take a class if new to carry. I mention Hornady Critical Defense ammunition often as its good stuff, reliable expansion and available in have hitting Critical Duty, slightly lighter Critical Defense and the pink tipped low recoil flavor. All tests well for me. If want a more budget friendly ammunition the Federal HST is also a go-to choice for me and recommend often. So not only is the question what is best handgun but also best ammunition and best holster or method of carry. I have several dozen holsters, not all can invest over $1,000 in leather choices.

Also there are special circumstances that might dictate your carry handgun. Like the lady long distance runner being tasked with the 10 ounce 22 Magnum a person fly fishing in Alaska might need a 454 Casull Magnum or 500 Smith. Someone mentioned a while back in this thread having issues with 380 acp pocket pistols. Have seen many that were goofy and many that were perfect. Why it's suggested a few hundred rounds minimum be fired through any carry gun purchased to learn it's nuances and all aspects of your personal situation considered. While I find a 380 marginal, with modern ammunition it beats no gun but only if it functions and hits what aim at. Have seen many men come in gun sfores, buy a 1911 in 45 and bring back to trade in due to issues with recoil in under two weeks.

Why all new gun owners should test drive, not just hold in a gun shop any handgun they might consider purchasing unless can afford to keep buying till get it right in the interest of building a collection. Then your tasked with finding amunitions it likes, not all guns like all ammo plus correct holster. How is that for narrowing down your choice. Why my students handle a minimum of a dozen handguns and sometimes upwards of twenty different choices before settle on what they feel comfortable using, carrying and defending your life.
Gun Talk / Re: Shoulder Holster options S&W MP Shield 9mm
« Last post by Hueyville on December 03, 2017, 06:21:47 AM »
Galco makes the best shoulder holsters on the market IMHO. Have a Miami Classic purchased in 1980's when all things Miami Vice were coool that is still used most Sunday's plus any other time wear a sport coat or a suit. It carries a compact to full size 1911 horizontally under weak arm and two spare magazines under strong arm which gives not only spare ammo but balances the rig for super comfort. Have other shoulder rigs that will kink up due to weight of gun on one side causing it to shift thus need a tab to attach non gun side to belt. Galco makes several options of shoulder holster that allow mixing components for vertical or horizontal carry, spare magazines or not. Have a Galco Great Alaskan for my wheel gun. Will spend upwards of $200 on these rigs fully outfitted but worth every dime. Their Classic Lite at under $100 is budget friendly but unsure if it's a lifetime of comfort rig as do not own one.

When work in church security use my Miami Classic for a compact 1911 which is my backup and carry a rebuilt Unlimited IPSC 1911 from the 1980's with all new internals, magazine funnel, compensator and tritium front sight post. Rebuilt it specifically for a combat carry weapon that can easily place A zone hits in torso or head as needed from 75 feet across a large sanctuary. Always consider use of equipment well. In large venue with hundreds of panicking people running about will need a pistol that is precise and lots of practice to get the job done cleanly.

Every Saturday know am working a shift on Sunday put 100 rounds through my primary and 50 through my backup then clean each. After detail strip, cleaning and reassembly each pistol gets a full magazine of my carry ammo run to ensure were reassembled correctly, sights correct for carry ammo then pass a patch down bore, wipe down well, put fresh ammo in the mags shot and call it good to go. This keeps carry ammo fresh and ensures know its recoil impulse and it hits same poimt of impact as range ammo. I know some people that carry high dollar defense ammo that have never actually run a magazine of it due to its $40 per 20 round box cost. Know others who have same carry rounds in gun loaded up in magazine years ago. I try to eliminate all of Mr Murphy's little glitches with something as important as a defensive weapon. Normally shoot 300 rounds minimum through the week as have 60 foot indoor range at my office and feel constant practice is part of being prepared to use deadly force plus it's just good fun.
General Firearms Law Discussion / Re: Proper Concealed Carry Question
« Last post by sammyboy on December 02, 2017, 01:18:57 PM »
Thank you for that info! It's much appreciated and I think I will try to find a good thin holster for it just in case.
« Last post by Hueyville on December 02, 2017, 08:27:29 AM »
Don't know anything about Texas law but have been told current regulations in Texas and Georgia are similar. For decades a holster of some type even for pocket carry was required and ankle holsters forbidden for all but law enforcement. Both of those rules have changed and no longer is a holster required in Georgia and ankle holsters are allowed. Now here is the issue. It was illegal for both so long and even stated so on our weapons license that many older law enforcement officers still believe both rules exist.

So while allowed, it's not uncommon for someone to at least be sternly warned and on occasion taken into the station if an enforcement officer is looking for an excuse. They invoke probable cause and may search a vehicle over this compounding the issue. At this point I would call the 1-877 number on the back of my U.S. Lawshield insurance card and wait for legal representation. But meantime may be sitting in a jail cell with real criminals while wait for the mistake in interpretation to be worked out so choose to follow rules many officers were taught in Post School pre 2010.

Because we had this law on the books for decades and have had a GWL/CWP for almost 34 years 30 of those required pocket holsters have quite the collection. Still put my backup when use a pocket pistol in a holster. First is due to habit, second due to avoid confusion with officers that still believe it's a law but most importantly the design of my holsters disguise the "printing" that there is obviously a gun in my pocket. Can slip a compact 380 in rear pocket and "prints" just like a fat wallet. If drop a S&W M60 or similar small frame wheelgun in front pocket doesn't show side of the cylinder as obvious, gun doesn't get pocket lint and chance of manipulating trigger in either instance as insert, remove or draw weapon is greatly reduced.

Have direct knowledge of three A.D.'s with injuries in law enforcement agencies, all involved a backup in a pocket and no holster. My favorite backup pistol is to this day an AMT 380 backup due to being small, flat and almost square. When it goes in its holster it is square as could want. Like the fact it has thumb and grip safety as well as a round of Hornady Critical Defense even in 380 acp running down through my rear end into thigh does not sound pleasant. Work part time (strictly for fun and employee discount) as gunsmith in a local gunship and number of folks coming in for three pound trigger kits in Glocks for carry stuns me, try to explain they are putting and IPSC/IDPA Unlimited part in a carry gun with no safety to a glazed over look. Advertising works.

A friend had to use his IFAK to save a man in another gun shops parking lot which does not allow loaded firearms in store. Retired gentleman was removing 9mm Glock from pocket and shot himself through hip with a Federal HST that entered hip and made exit low rump/high thigh area that EMT's and doctors said if not for immediate treatment with "Stop Bleed", adhesive bandages over wrapped with self adhesive gauze the man would have surely died. Every vehicle we own has an IFAK as do bedrooms, living room, gun room and reloading room. When go to range have an IFAK in my range bag. Man who shot himself had installed an aftermarket trigger, did not have pistol in holster nor an IFAK in his vehicle. That little digression is my free Christmas bonus.

Again been told Texas firearms law and Georgia laws are so similar at this point that if in either, follow rules your used to and will likely be o.k. but suggest research laws anytime going to a fresh state. Well designed pocket holsters make carry safer, more discreet, keep gun free of debris and reduce chance encounter with old school law enforcement. I see nothing but upside and no negative issues from the use of one and doubt I will ever skip a proper holster for pocket carry. That said, everyone has an opinion and right to it. Won't say it doesn't happen but every accidental self inflicted gunshot I know of involving a pocket gun victim was not using a holster. Never heard first hand of a pocket gun A.D. when pocket holster was in use. Sure if did a fat Google search could find contradictory information on both sides of my reasoning but first person accounts of an incident carry more impact with me.

General Firearms Law Discussion / Re: Squatters in Colorado
« Last post by Hueyville on December 01, 2017, 06:32:29 AM »
While not a resident of Colorado or a lawyer I would say the owner unfortunately has to follow the letter of the law or risk a criminal charge that might cost them their right to own or carry a firearm. As an owner of multiple rental properties from a hotel in the past to rental homes and commercial property once someone has occupied a property, a legal eviction is sometimes the only option. In the hotel was able to fairly roughly remove someone that refused to pay or leave but in houses the Georgia rules are much different. Even if tenant has no written lease and paid no money it generally takes 90 days to go through the process.

During 2008 through 2012 while the economy was so bad after evicting a few people from homes we owned began doing it for a couple local banks. They were giving us multiple houses per week and our hard rule was until a local law enforcement agent met us with a judges order for eviction the people were not approached. The day law enforcement was scheduled had a licensed locksmith to open front door and officer was first to enter. Even with knocking, loud verbal orders to open and cars in driveway we usually found people in the house. One particular house there was a BMW 735, Mercedes S class and new Honda Goldwing in the garage. Found former owners wife hiding in a closet protecting a floor safe. She was Asian, had poor English skills and when officer told her to move vehicles from garage she claimed could not drive. We did not know if legally allowed to move vehicles, officer didn't know but wife handed over the keys and deputy said in his opinion that implied permission to move them onto street. Husband showed up in middle of this wearing a custom business suit and driving a Porsche Cayenne. Was a very strange time as most of our "jobs" were million dollar homes in gated communities. One property was occupied by a lawyer and took bank over a year to get a judge to issue eviction orders. That man tried to go Kujo on us but a dozen burly men, law enforcement plus my brother and I wearing overt armor openly carrying weapons got us through a few sketchy evictions and don't even ask about our six months of car repossesion.

We generally had four hours before law enforcement left, house was to be empty and locks changed. Would have a dozen or more temps to help and immediately on officer entering and serving papers had all furniture on Right of Way of road and off property, vehicles parked on street while locksmith changed locks. Was an interesting time but even in houses we owned learned real fast letter of law is to be followed. Being a regular visitor to Colorado (at least twice a year for over 25 years) have learned it's taken quite a California type liberal political turn. I would for sure go through a legal eviction unless local sheriff or police chief was best friend and sent officers to treat it as a burglary or home invasion. Boulder is strife with transients that rent mini-storage space, convert it to residential then stop paying rent and ride out their free 90 day legal eviction time. Go to towns like Ward and will find squatters living in shacks made of cardboard or holes dug in side of a hill. Unfortunately feel in urban areas is another lost state.

No matter the state, once initial call is made to law enforcement would never exceed the decision officers on scene were willing to enforce. If they dont remove people then lawyers are your best option. Otherwise might find the squatters winning ownership of home in civil court action. It's unfortunate but owning the property does not give one the right to do as please in all situations. We purchased a mobile home park when doing rental houses and hotel with the best day of life being the day last of it was sold except for commercial properties where occupants must keep business licenses and occupancy permits current which usually aids in legally removing them as usually are in default on their business permitting or licensing when stop paying their rent.
« Last post by Neighbor on November 30, 2017, 08:54:26 PM »
I am reasonably sure Katfish is correct also. I have never seen anything that indicated to me a holster was required for concealed carry - only open carry.
General Firearms Law Discussion / Re: National Reciprocity in NJ
« Last post by Neighbor on November 30, 2017, 08:45:31 PM »
I have my doubts that a national reciprocity bill that forces a state with very limited or no carry laws to accept other states licenses will become the law, but in the event it does, I would anticipate LOTS of roadblocks thrown up in the way of legal challanges from various states. If that fails, then states like New Jersery will make all sorts of stipulations making it almost impossible for you to comply (like you have to register your firearm with some authority if you want to carry and they will issue you a special ID badge that must be worn conspicuously anywhere you travel) ???
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10