Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Ask the Lawyers / Re: Legal in Colorado to carry someone elses handgun?
« Last post by TexasLawShield on September 08, 2017, 04:31:27 PM »
pcoupal50,

Let’s start with the proposition that a Concealed permit is issued to the person, not any specific firearm.  Therefore the authorization is personal to the permit in that the person issued the permit has been found by a local Sheriff who is authorized to issue the permit has done the required background check of the individual seeking and obtaining the permit. Therefore, if the person has the authorization, it would follow that they are allowed to possess any firearm that is a lawful firearm under the applicable state law. I believe it is relatively safe to assume that this same legal analysis would be applicable in most if not all states since it is my understanding the issuance is based upon the person, not the firearm.  Likewise, if a particular firearm is unlawful under a state law, it is most likely unlawful under federal law and therefore, the fact that a person has a Conceal permit would not enable them to possess an firearm that is unlawful under federal or state law.  Hope this helps.
Ask the Lawyers / Stolen Firearms
« Last post by siggaltx on September 06, 2017, 05:49:22 PM »
Hello.

If someone breaks into a house or car and steals a firearm and then commits a crime with that firearm, is the legal owner of the firearm liable in any way for that crime?

Another question: If there is no "firearms registration list" in Texas, why is the serial number of the firearm written on the background check form when you purchase a firearm?

Thanks!
Ask the Lawyers / Florida carry question
« Last post by little66085 on September 04, 2017, 11:53:08 AM »
Is it legal to carry a weapon outside the waist band as long as it is covered with a long shirt?
General Firearms Law Discussion / Re: NJ castle doctrine
« Last post by Sky_Dog on September 04, 2017, 10:11:29 AM »
It's one of the main of many reasons I left New Jersey.
Gun Talk / Re: What's the Best Gun for Concealed Carry?
« Last post by Sky_Dog on September 04, 2017, 09:57:14 AM »
In Oklahoma, so I'm sure as many on here are from similar states with incredibly hot weather in the summer, the carry gun I choose has a lot to do with the weather. During hot summer days when I dress lightly, I like to carry my M&P Shield .40. At only 7/8 inch thick it hides well under a t-shirt or polo. Drawbacks-only holds 7+1.
In cooler months when i can get away with wearing a little heavier clothing or a jacket I like my Ruger SR40. It holds 15+1. Drawbacks-medium sized frame (me and my weapon) it prints depending what I wear.
Ask the Lawyers / Re: Texas state aquarium
« Last post by TexasLawShield on August 31, 2017, 01:46:33 PM »
paul,

Thanks for verifying this with the TABC.

As hard as it may be to believe, if TABC determined that the sign was proper, there are no further actions we can take to have it removed. Since the vendor serves alcohol on the aquarium premises, its receipts are used for the 51% determination. Hopefully, in the future the vendor will stop using the aquarium, and the sign will be taken down. For now, though, carrying your firearm in the aquarium is prohibited under TPC  § 46.035. 

Ask the Lawyers / Re: non-resident permits reciprocity
« Last post by TexasLawShield on August 31, 2017, 01:45:54 PM »
ng101,

Texas non-resident license:
Texas non-resident licenses are treated the same as Texas resident licenses in Texas. Non-resident license holders are considered license holders for the purposes of the penal code and the government code. Law enforcement officers will recognize your non-resident license as valid—just like a resident license. Your obligation as a non-resident license holder is to always carry your non-resident license, keep your address information up to date, and refrain from carrying your handgun in areas prohibited by law. If a law enforcement officer asks you for identification you must show your non-resident license as well as your driver’s license. 

Non-resident license from another state:
Texas also recognizes non-resident permits issued by other states. The same rules apply (listed above).

Reciprocity:
If you are travelling outside of Texas, a non-resident permit will NOT be recognized by certain states (Colorado, Florida, South Carolina, and Michigan). Please check the laws of the state you are visiting before carrying in that state.

Ask the Lawyers / Legal in Colorado to carry someone elses handgun?
« Last post by pcoupal50 on August 31, 2017, 12:48:09 PM »
I have a Colorado CCW. Is it legal for me to concealed carry a handgun that is not registered to me? I've seen a few similar posts that say it is but none were specific to Colorado. Which also begs the question...Is the law the same for all states or is a state by state issue?

Thanks
General Firearms Law Discussion / Texas Penitentiary parking
« Last post by Tyson on August 26, 2017, 02:07:18 PM »
If I travel to central Texas to visit a person incarcerated, if I place my firearm I a lockbox in my vehicle, am I legal? Or do I need to travel unarmed?
Ask the Lawyers / Re: Transporting a Firearm Into / Through the State of New Jersey
« Last post by Al on August 24, 2017, 03:30:17 PM »
Yes, I know the exceptions as far as going to and from within the state.
Just trying to clarify legal safe locations to store gear vs just under the seat or in the bed where it could be visible.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10